Jun 30, 2010

Let's walk to Mt. Fuji ! (富士まで歩る講 2010)


I received an email from France about 3 months ago. The sender is interested in Mt. Fuji, especially in climbing Mt. Fuji in traditional style, "Fujiko(富士講)". He studied it in his youth and has long wanted to join it someday.


Originally climbing Mt. Fuji was not a reisure, but a religion. People believed that Mt. Fuji could purify themselves if you climb it. So, many people walked to here from every region. This ceremony called "Fujiko (富士講)". It flourished in Edo era (1603-1868). They say that there were almost 800 groups in its peak, and most of those were in Kanto region.


Fujiyoshida city revived this ceremony. Named "Let's walk to Mt. Fuji (富士まで歩る講)" starts at Nihonbashi in Tokyo and ends at Kitaguchi Hongu Fuji Sengen Shrine in Fujiyoshida. 120km- walk in 4 days! WOW! I told the sender about this event. Then he applied it and was accepted!

The party included Mr. Regnier from France came to my city yesterday. I went to cheer him up. And today, I joined the party for awhile. My walking distance was only 5km or so, but I could enjoy a feeling of Fujiko.

I am very happy to meet Mr. Regnier. And I thank the staff members of "Let's walk to Mt. Fuji" for being welcomed me.

I wish Mr. Regnier and his wife will have a happy Mt. Fuji climbing tomorrow!

Ms. Takiguchi, Mr. Regnier, and me

@ Omuro Sengen Shrine in Fujiyoshida

1 comment:

Project Hyakumeizan said...

It's good to know that, after several hundred years, the Fuki-ko have become international... Congratulations to the Regniers!